This is a project focused on the identification of the possible impact of Net Neutrality principles on QoE-based service differentiation in mobile networks. We want to explore the impact on commercial strategies and business models for different types of actors. In order to reach this goal, the project will make analysis from the perspective of different project partners:
- The Swedish Post and Telecom Authority (PTS). PTS works with consumer and competition issues, efficient utilisation of resources and secure communications.
- Ericsson Business Development area works with the identification and development of new business opportunities for mobile broadband for operators and consumer.
- NTK (Nätverket för Telekomanvändare). NTK is a networking and advocacy organization that promotes the telecommunications safeguard of users’ interests.
- The two largest Mobile network operators in Sweden; TeliaSonera and Tele2, which both offers mobile communication services, fixed broadband and telephony, data network services and content services.
- Edgeware it is a leading provider of video delivery solutions allowing its customers to monetize video, providing retail video services to subscribers and providing the wholesale video delivery services to content providers.
- Wireless@KTH as an academic partner with strong background and knowledge in the areas of QoE and techno-economic analysis of mobile networks and services.
Specific goals of the project for the involved actors
The main goal is to identify how the implementation of QoE-based service differentiation in mobile networks will impact net-neutrality in Sweden. This will require an identification/definition of the business models that take advantage of the new scheme in the service provision. To identify how the incorporation of QoE/user’s experience evaluation will impact commercial strategy and network deployment is of interest for mobile operator.
In order to evaluate commercial strategies, different pricing schemes need to be considered. It is important for the project, to study cases of traffic prioritization that are already on-going in different parts of the world, in order to understand the technical mechanisms and the commercials strategies followed by operators to face the users’ demands.
User expectations and demands on QoE and NN will be of a major importance and therefore we will need to study what is the users´ perspective on these topics. We also want to analyze the impact on the competition and net-neutrality principles of providing good levels of user experience adapted to different services. Considering the importance of net neutrality for the regulators, current regulation in different countries and future guidelines for suitable regulation NN and QoE will be analyzed.
- What examples of Net Neutrality regulation exist? What are the aspects required to be considered to regulate on QoE services?
- What are the concerns regarding Net Neutrality from the different actors in the mobile networks market?
- How to achieve a more flexible and cost efficient network dimensioning by considering QoE incorporation in the mobile networks business model by considering net neutrality principles?
- Which business and pricing models are able to provide QoE service while achieving Net Neutrality?
- What are the possible implementations for QoE based services? How are these implementations dealing with Net Neutrality?